Can Dogs Eat Turkey Deli Meat? What You Need to Know

Introduction

As a dog owner, it is natural to want to share our food with our furry friends. However, not all human foods are safe for dogs to consume. Turkey deli meat is one such food that many pet owners may wonder about. In this blog post, we will explore whether or not dogs can eat turkey deli meat.

The Risks of Feeding Your Dog Turkey Deli Meat

While turkey is a relatively healthy protein source for dogs, the same cannot be said for processed turkey deli meats. These types of meats often contain high amounts of sodium and preservatives like nitrates and nitrites that can be harmful to your dog’s health when consumed in excess.

Consuming too much sodium can lead to dehydration, kidney damage and even heart disease in dogs. Additionally, some dogs may also have allergic reactions or digestive issues from eating processed meats due to the additives they contain.

Alternatives To Feeding Your Dog Processed Meats

Instead of feeding your dog store-bought deli meat which contains added salt and chemicals, opt for cooked plain turkey instead! This way you’ll know exactly what ingredients are entering their body without any hidden surprises.

If you’re unsure how well your pup will tolerate new treats or foods – start by giving them small pieces at first so they don’t get sick from overindulging too quickly!

Another great option is dehydrated/air-dried raw treats made specifically for pets! These treats come in various flavors (including turkey) and offer wholesome nutrition without added preservatives/salt that could upset your pup’s stomach later on down the line.

Conclusion

In conclusion, while it may seem like an innocent treat – feeding your dog excessive amounts of processed meats such as turkey deli slices isn’t worth risking their health over time. There are plenty of healthy options out there to offer your dog instead that taste just as good without any negative side effects. Always consult with your veterinarian if you have any concerns about what foods are safe for your furry friend before giving them something new!