Is it Safe? The Pros and Cons of Feeding Shiitake Mushrooms to Dogs


You might have wondered if your furry friend can share some of the Shiitake mushroom dishes with you. While mushrooms are generally considered as a healthy food source, not all types of mushrooms are safe for dogs to consume.

Are shiitake mushrooms toxic to dogs?

Shiitake mushrooms are known to be non-toxic to humans and most animals; however, they contain lentinan which can cause an allergic reaction in some dogs. Furthermore, raw or undercooked Shiitakes can lead to digestive issues such as vomiting and diarrhea.

What are the benefits of feeding shiitake mushrooms?

Shiitake Mushrooms offer various health advantages when consumed by humans due to their anti-inflammatory properties and immune-boosting abilities. But sadly, these benefits do not extend towards our four-legged companions. Dogs cannot benefit from consuming Shiitakes because their bodies lack certain enzymes that break down polysaccharides found in these types of fungi.

What should I do if my dog ate shiitake mushrooms?

If your pet accidentally consumed some shiitake mushroom dishes or any other poisonous substances for that matter, it’s best to consult a veterinarian right away. The vet will examine your dog’s symptoms and provide suitable treatment accordingly depending upon the severity of the case.

The bottom line

In conclusion, while this particular type of mushroom is unlikely to harm your pup severely if fed in small quantities occasionally (and cooked properly), it’s still better off avoiding them altogether just like many other human foods that aren’t good for your pet’s health! It’s always best practice to keep an eye on what your furry friend eats at all times and stick only with foods that are safe for them!