Can Dogs Eat Portobello Mushrooms? Here’s What You Need to Know

The Short Answer: No

Dogs should not eat portobello mushrooms. This mushroom variety contains a natural toxin called agaritine that can cause gastrointestinal problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea, in both humans and pets. While cooked mushrooms may have lower levels of agaritine than raw ones, it’s still best to avoid feeding your furry friend this type of mushroom altogether.

Mushrooms That Are Safe for Dogs

If you’re looking for safe mushroom options to feed your pup, there are other varieties that are healthy and delicious for dogs. For example, shiitake mushrooms contain lentinan, which has been shown to enhance the immune system in dogs. Button mushrooms are also a good choice because they have low levels of toxins compared to wild mushrooms.

Why Your Dog Might Want Mushrooms Anyway

Dogs might be attracted to the smell or taste of certain types of mushrooms because they contain glutamates, which create an umami flavor similar to meaty foods. However, just because your dog is interested doesn’t mean it’s good for them. Like humans, dogs can sometimes crave things that aren’t necessarily good for them.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Portobello Mushrooms

If you suspect that your dog has eaten portobello mushrooms or any poisonous substance at all (including human medicine or chocolate), contact your veterinarian right away. Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or even seizures depending on the amount ingested and the size/breed/age of your dog.
Remember: prevention is key when it comes to keeping our pups safe from toxic substances!