Can Dogs Eat Moldy Cheese? The Risks and How to Tell if It’s Safe


If you’re a dog owner, it’s essential to understand what your furry friend can and cannot eat. While some human foods are safe for dogs, others can be toxic and even fatal if consumed in large quantities. One such food is moldy cheese. In this blog post, we’ll explore whether dogs can safely eat moldy cheese or if it should be avoided at all costs.

The Risks of Moldy Cheese

Moldy cheese is one of the most dangerous types of food that dogs can consume. Multiple varieties of molds produce mycotoxins that have harmful effects on both humans and animals alike. Consuming these substances can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, liver damage and failure in severe cases.

Symptoms to Watch Out For

If your dog has ingested moldy cheese accidentally or intentionally snatched it from the table when you weren’t looking – keep an eye out for symptoms that might indicate your pup isn’t feeling too good. Some signs include vomiting, diarrhea (with blood), abdominal pain/cramps, loss of appetite/decreased consumption levels could mean that there are serious health problems lurking beneath the surface.

When Should You Contact a Vet?

While mild gastrointestinal upset may not require any medical intervention besides monitoring your pet closely over time; more severe side effects – such as seizures or sudden changes in behavior – necessitate prompt veterinary care immediately!

The Bottom Line

Dogs shouldn’t eat moldy cheese under any circumstances! It’s vital to ensure that they only consume safe foods since their digestive systems aren’t as robust as ours- recall how many times you’ve had stomach upsets after consuming unhealthy meals like junk food? That being said–it’s always prudent to avoid feeding anything questionable which could lead them down the wrong path of accidental illness or worse. Keep them safe and healthy by being mindful of what they consume!