Can Dogs Eat Green Grapes? What to Know Before You Feed Them


When it comes to feeding our furry friends, we all want to make sure that they are getting the best nutrition. However, not everything that is good for us humans is good for dogs. This is why many pet owners wonder if green grapes are safe for their pets.

The Answer

The short answer is no; dogs should not eat green grapes. In fact, all types of grapes (including seeded, seedless, red and green) can be toxic to dogs. The exact reason behind this toxicity is still unknown but ingestion of even small amounts can cause kidney failure in some cases.

Symptoms of Grape Toxicity in Dogs

If you suspect your dog has ingested any amount of grape or raisin products, you should seek veterinary care immediately as the symptoms may show up within 24 hours or delayed by several days:
– Vomiting
– Diarrhea
– Dehydration
– Loss of appetite
– Lethargy/tiredness
– Abdominal pain

Treatment Options for Grape Toxicity in Dogs

The treatment options depend on how soon after ingestion medical care was sought and whether the toxins have already damaged your dog’s kidneys.

Veterinary treatments for grape toxicity may include induced vomiting/gastric lavage (stomach flushing), administration of activated charcoal and medication to control vomiting/diarrhea.

In severe cases where dehydration occurs or signs indicate acute renal failure (increase in blood urea nitrogen [BUN] concentration and/or creatinine concentrations), hospitalization with intravenous fluids therapy will be necessary.


It’s always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to our beloved dogs’ diets. While grapes and raisins may seem like healthy snacks to us, they can be very harmful to our furry friends. As pet owners, we should always keep an eye on what our dogs ingest, and if in doubt about any food items’ safety, it’s best to consult with a veterinarian.